trevorjamescummins.blogspot.com

trevorjamescummins.blogspot.com

Friday 9 October 2015

Ready, Steady, Go



Not long to go before the 40th running of the Amsterdam Marathon on Sunday, October 18th, with just enough time for an update on the final preparations for my attempt at stopping the clock within three hours.

The checklist is nearly complete with little, if anything, left to chance.

The new adidas boost racing shoes have the advised fifty or so miles in them and are now back in the box awaiting the call to battle.

The raceday breakfast and in-race fuel plan have both been rehearsed enough times for each to be considered safe and reliable while socks, shorts and the black and yellow singlet of Ballymore Cobh AC have each been worn in varied conditions and stood up to all and a sundry.

This is my second attempt at the distance and the benefit of last years experience in Dublin (3.06.48) does allow me to be a little more relaxed. It's like you know what is ahead of you. The pain, the suffering and, all going well, the glory. Like any other race, you just need to make sure you are there on the start line in the best shape possible and I am confident that is exactly how I will line up.



The overseas journey will add an extra element of adventure to proceedings and I will be lucky to have the company and support of my partner Victoria and our two boys, Alfie and Charlie.

In time to come I'm sure the little men will hardly remember the weekend they got dragged to the Dutch capital for their father to go running loose around the famously liberal city, but I'll have them in my mind when the going gets tough and will be doing everything possible to ensure they can look back on my efforts and be proud to say they were part of a great weekend.

I've worked hard since returning to training after last autumn’s effort in Dublin and a single day has not passed without me thinking about a goal I set at the end of spring 2014.
Judging by recent half-marathon times, and barring any surprises on the day, we are firmly on track to hit the target.

It’s time to burn.




Follow the journey through:

iTunes

Android


2 comments:

  1. Best of luck in Amsterdam Trevor. This is a really great blog. You have given yourself the best possible chance of achieving your goal. Now just go out and do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Stewart. That's it really, the work is done - time to put it to bed now. Thanks again.

      Delete