trevorjamescummins.blogspot.com

trevorjamescummins.blogspot.com

Monday 8 June 2015

Going the distance


Up until the last Bank Holiday weekend my planking activities had been modest to say the least. Two minutes, at a push and only on special occasions, would have been the most I could possibly bear the core crunching, bone rattling experience of the physical exercise designed to strengthen the abdominal muscles, where one performs a press-up and holds the raised position for a set period of time.

So, in anticipation, my friend and strength coach, Katie decided to dangle a carrot. If I could hold a good form plank for five minutes I would get that week's session free of charge. Following brief negotiation we settled on four and a half!

When previously attempting the plank I would normally succumb to trembling much earlier in proceedings. Yet, just as I was beginning to accept the challenge, I was mentally preparing myself to go further than I had been before. 'I'll just have to hold on', I convinced myself.

As if my mind was opening the gate, my body followed through. With some resistance of course, but hard work and sweat never killed any one! The phrase 'how much do you want it' is often pondered upon in life and here was an example of the incentive being great enough to warrant a bigger effort than had ever been summoned or thought possible before. It's not whether you can do it, more whether you believe you can do it. 


Close by on the Rebel City roads my club mates at Ballymore Cobh AC were laying down their own efforts in the Cork City Marathon on what can only be described as a pretty horrendous day, weather wise. I might have popped out and back from my work place on a couple of occasions to witness the enormously humbling sight of a marathon finish but I really had no idea of how difficult the conditions were. To fully appreciate the added challenge it presented, I think it's fair to believe that you had to be out there. Between the barriers. In wind. And rain. Wet. But not wilting.

Each like soldiers returning triumphant from the battle field, the Black and Amber singlets came home one by one. Many having overcome distances, they never imagined themselves running six or twelve months ago. Here now the power and the glory was all theirs.

Catching up with so many of the heroes later that evening and feeding off their inspirational efforts just fueled my desire to get my marathon effort underway. While the clock is always ticking, the big hands tell the current tale. For now, the figures look good.

To date, 5km, 5mile, 10km + 10mile personal bests have been chalked up this term. A recent track debut also allowed me to improve on my only previous effort over 3,000m. The current focus towards the shorter distances and the resulting improvement over same lays down the speed to which we'll blend endurance with once the marathon specific preparation begins.

The sun is shining and the racing is coming thick and fast on the back of a solid training period. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Upcoming Races

13/6 Ballyheigue 10Km
16/6 CIT Graded League 3,000m
21/6 CIT County T+F Champs 5,000m

2 comments:

  1. Yet another enjoyabe read. The description of the Cork City Marathon on that particular day certainly strikes a chord with me.
    I knew I had the distance in me, it was just
    whether I'd got my target time or not.
    But to see those first timers crossing the line after 26.2 wet and windswept miles in an unseasonally cold early June day was humbling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shane. Hard to believe that in January I decided to skip the Cork City Marathon, mainly on the basis it might be to hot in early June - how wrong I was!

      Delete